Revive Your Book Sales Part 2: Why You Have Low Book Sales
Click here to listen to the full episode!
You’ve done the hard work of writing and launching your book, and you’re ready to start seeing some sales… but then nothing happens. You have such low book sales — or maybe your book isn’t selling at all! — that you’re considering a relaunch. But there’s an important question you need to ask yourself first.
In Part 2 of the Revive Your Book Sales Series, Coach Tam lays out common reasons for low book sales and what to do about it. If you jump straight into a relaunch, you risk repeating the same mistakes all over again. So tune into this episode to find out what actions you need to take first, before you relaunch.
In this episode, you’ll also hear:
- The big question you need to ask yourself before launching your book
- How the answer to this question should inform all of your decision-making moving forward
- 6 reasons you might be seeing low book sales
- How to keep your book at #1 on Amazon
Ask Yourself Why
Before you go down the road of a relaunch, there is one big question you need to answer: “Why isn’t my book selling?” Asking this question first can help you make better decisions about how to best move forward with your book.
Here are three reasons it’s important that you ask this question first:
- It’s an opportunity for self-reflection. Asking yourself why you have low book sales allows you to be honest with yourself and identify any problems with your book’s content or presentation that may have prevented it from resonating with readers. Self-reflection can be difficult, but it is necessary if you want to make improvements and ensure that your next attempt at releasing a book is more successful than the last.
- You can learn from your mistakes and apply those lessons moving forward. Learning from mistakes doesn’t just mean identifying what went wrong — it also means figuring out how to do things better in the future. Sometimes you have to take a step back before you can move forward. So taking the time to reflect on what you could have done differently and how you can apply those changes — not just for a relaunch, but for all your future projects as well — is time well spent.
- It helps inform decisions. If you’re considering relaunching or rebranding, keep in mind that these should not be done lightly. They require careful consideration of potential outcomes before you take action. When you ask why you have low book sales first, you’re more likely to make informed decisions that are in line with the goals of your book and your readers.
Instead of jumping straight into the relaunch, take some time for self-reflection and really think about why you have low book sales (or why your book isn’t selling at all). Then you’ll be better equipped to fix the problem moving forward.
6 Reasons for Low Book Sales
Here’s the thing: there can be many reasons your book isn’t selling well. So let’s look at a few of the things that can cause low book sales.
1. You didn’t have a marketing plan in place when you launched your book.
A marketing plan should include everything from how you will reach potential readers to what type of content you will use to promote your book. Failing to create a plan before launch means missing out on key opportunities to get your message out there and attract readers. That’s important, because readers don’t just show up — you have to attract them. If you have low book sales, it could be because you didn’t have a plan to market it effectively.
2. You failed to create buzz around your book before launch day.
You can’t just spring your book on people and expect them to jump into action. Instead, you need to ensure they know about your book before they even think about buying it. To accomplish that, you need to create buzz to engage potential readers. This could look like posting on social media, setting up an email list, or other ways of getting people’s attention. After all, if no one knows about your book or its launch, how are they going to buy it?
3. You haven’t effectively connected with influencers who can help spread the word about your book.
The great thing about influencers (think podcasters, bloggers, and YouTubers in the industry) is that they have already done the work to build massive followings who trust their recommendations. That means connecting with these influencers can help put your work in front of thousands or even millions of readers at once. But you have to make the connections first. Otherwise, you won’t have as many chances to reach a wider audience and increase book sales.
4. You didn’t have a proper launch strategy in place for release day.
Your book launch can make all the difference between success and failure. But you’ve got to have an organized plan if you want to maximize sales from day one onward. So many Christian authors end up with low book sales because they spent all their time on writing, editing, and all of these things, and then didn’t invest the time to actually put together an organized launch.
5. Your pricing strategy wasn’t effective.
Pricing too high or too low can result in low book sales figures overall. Finding the “sweet spot” where pricing works best for both buyers and sellers is essential for success in any market — and it’s especially important when it comes to books.
6. You didn’t have enough reviews.
Reviews are invaluable for effective marketing strategies, because they provide proof that someone else has already enjoyed reading your work and found it worthwhile enough to leave a review. If there aren’t a lot of reviews, it implies the opposite: that not a lot of people have read the book or found it worthy of a review.
Often, that’s not really the case, but the reality is that getting reviews requires a little hustle. You have to follow up to get people to do it. But when people leave honest reviews on Amazon or Goodreads, it can make all the difference in generating new sales.
Keep Your Book at #1
Keep in mind that these are just some of the factors that can cause low book sales. There are other factors that can keep you from seeing the sales you hope for, too. So taking the time to really analyze why your book isn’t doing well is essential if you want a chance of successfully relaunching it later down the line.
Don’t just jump into this. Take the time to evaluate what might be going wrong before making any drastic changes or decisions.
That said, if you’ve been struggling with low book sales, know that you are not alone. Many authors don’t know the keys to optimizing their book sales. But you CAN learn! The right techniques can be the game-changer you need to boost your ranking on Amazon and bring in new readers.
Imagine having a best-selling book that attracts lots of visitors and establishes you as an expert in your field! Our friend Nate from selfpublishing.com has put together a free training, where you’ll gain knowledge about what works and how to use it to make sure your book stays #1 on Amazon no matter what curveballs life throws at you.
Click here to access the free training about keeping your book #1 on Amazon and get all the strategies you need for success! Get started today, and never worry about failure again.
My name is Tamara “Coach Tam” Jackson and I am a published author, Facebook© Certified Digital Marketer, host of the Top 100 Publishing Secrets podcast, and founder of The Christian Authors Network (C.A.N.) Facebook© community. I specialize in helping mission-driven authors, coaches, and entrepreneurs increase their exposure, impact, and income through strategic self-publishing and digital media appearances. Just say yes and we will work together to attract a tribe of loyal followers that 1) “get you”, 2) love what you do, and 3) are happy to invest in your book, business, cause, or movement. Plus, we will accomplish all of this without fake, salesy, sleazy, or manipulative tactics. Yes you CAN write, publish, and profit in a way that honors God; join the community today at https://christianauthors.net/fbgroup.
Connect with fellow Christian Authors: http://christianauthors.net/fbgroup
Download the Free Christian Author Marketing EBook: https://265point.com/secretsbook1
Get Booked as a Guest Speaker for Free: http://christianauthors.net
Follow Tam on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TamaraJacksonTransformationExpert/
Interact with Tam on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fitnesstamara265/